Apr 21, 2013

Must Read Science Mentor Texts

Hello fellow BOOK LOVERS!  I'm linking up with Stacia and Amanda from Collaboration Cuties to share some great SCIENCE MENTOR TEXTS WITH YOU!  Click on the link below to find a list of other mentor texts that have been posted today!  Don't you just love a good list of books to add to your library?  

Several weeks ago, my school had the honor of a visit from Jerry Pallotta!  He got the kids very excited about several different types of books, but one particular series really got their attention!



Each book in his WHO WOULD WIN series sets the stage for a battle between 2 particular animals.  He hooked our kiddos by asking, "Who Would Win if _______________ were to battle?" and plugged in the names of some local rival sports teams.  :)  Believe me...they jumped right into the arms of that conversation! ;)

The books compare and contrast different physical and mental strengths and weaknesses of 2 particular animals.  At the end of each book, Mr. Pallotta predicts who would win based on the traits of the animals studied.  He spent time explaining the process he goes through to research and find facts for his books.  He even shared some drafts of different books that he has written, and talked about the importance of the writing process!  I was very impressed with what he shared with our students.


Seeing their excitement, of course I had to buy several of these books, and of course I had to ask for autographs in each! ;)  He's a great guy!



The skulls in the first pic are models he used when he talked about The Skull Alphabet Book.  I felt the need to explain why there are skulls in our school library.  You also see pages from other ABC books that he talked about in the pics as well.    :)

I kept them on the ledge of my board for several days and let them beg to read them...to build up their excitement, of course! :)  The following week the books showed up in an Informational Text Station where my kiddos had to read the books and do a bit of research on each type of animal in their chosen book to complete a Venn Diagram about the animals.  They then used their diagram to write a 4 paragraph essay with an introduction, a paragraph about their similarities, a paragraph about their differences, and a conclusion where they shared the winner of the battle with their readers!  They had a ball and when kids (and adults) enjoy their work...THE WORK ALWAYS SHOWS IT!  I wish I had some to share with you, but it's Sunday, and I don't have their notebooks on Sunday.  ;)


19 comments:

  1. I've seen these books in the Scholastic book orders but never gave them a second thought. I'll have to pick a few up for my kiddos next time I order. Thanks for sharing!
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They love the idea of a battle. Even my big kiddos thought these were cool and they were a great jumping off point for research. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, how fun! I have heard a lot of great things about these books, and I have one or two in my classroom library but haven't thought to teach with them! What a great idea!

    Thanks so much for linking up!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for including me and for coming by my blog to read. :) These books can be great for all levels. A great jumping off point for big kids and an easy read for little guys.

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of these before!! Thanks for sharing, because I do love Jerry Pallotta so I'm sure I will enjoy these too! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous you got to meet Jerry Pallotta! How exciting! I love your writing ideas to use with these books- my kiddos would love it!

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great books! Such a hook for kids! Thanks for sharing! Adding those to my cart in Amazon!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! What a great experience it is to be able to meet the authors of the books our students so love! My kids would have been thrilled--these "Who Would Win?" books have become some of their favorites! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these books! They are so informative, the kids are engaged and walk away with so much new knowledge! I can't believe you got to meet the author!!!! JEALOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love JERRY PALLOTTA. Our library has all of his ABC books- I will have to check on this new series! Thanks for visiting my blog!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. My students LOVE these books. I use them in reading groups all the time. It's great for comparing and contrasting, plus they are learning the content at the same time.

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
  10. An author visit is such an amazing experience! I just love it when an author talks about their writing process. One of my favorite questions to ask is how many drafts were written before the final published version. All of a sudden, the students understand what I mean when I say it's not "one and done." Thanks for sharing your great ideas for extending research. I'm your newest follower!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool! I'll have to get my hands on some of these for our classroom library. Thanks for sharing :)

    Miss B at Real Teachers Learn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think my students would love these! I want to check them out.
    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack
    Balancing the Backpack

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun! Sounds like your kids love these books and they look especially exciting for boys.
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    I'm a new follower.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  14. I knew I had seen something on Deanna Jumps blog about these books and I finally found it! Its a cute post and it has a cute recording sheet FREEBIE!

    http://mrsjumpsclass.blogspot.com/2013/02/who-would-win-freebie.html

    Julia
    The Army Wife Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by! I have never heard of those books but know my boys would love them! I struggle to find books that appeal to my boys. Thanks for sharing!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome!! I can just see the students so excited about the who will win aspect of introducing it using sports! I love that this led into an extended writing activity and they had fun while working hard:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am loving these books! I can just imagine how they get the kids interested. Thank you for sharing them!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs