Apr 20, 2013

Spark Student Motivation Saturday Linky and a Bananagrams Freebie :)

Hi! I am linking up with Joanne for her Spark Student Motivation Saturday's Linky! This is my first linky, and I want to say a big THANK YOU to Joanne for being so kind to me as a new blogger! You guys are an awesome and supportive community, and you have made me feel very welcome!  You guys rock!!

This weekend, I'd like to share something very simple that I do almost every week to encourage and motivate my students to complete their assignments.  At the beginning of each week, I explain my expectations of what they need to accomplish in our literacy workshop.  We consider it a "list" of expectations.  During the week, I provide opportunities for them to visit work-stations to complete these independent or collaborative tasks.  They know that they will see one of these cards in their rotation chart on Friday!  
If they haven't met my expectations, they will visit a "Wrap it Up" Station to "wrap up" whatever needs to be finished or improved.  If they have met all the expectations, then they will visit other stations that you see listed.   Some of the activities include but are not limited to: word games on the I pods like Speed Tiles  (great game, very scrabble-like but you can play alone and it is FREE), free choice informational texts, library passes, occasional special creative assignments, etc.  

One of their favorites is Bananagrams!  I have created a special set of instructions to keep the noise level to a minimum for those students who might still be "WRAPPING IT UP."  Help yourself to our directions if you like.  :)  Our deal is very simple for this reward.  You read and follow the directions without assistance from me at these stations, simply because I will be helping students to "WRAP THINGS UP" at a small group meeting.  This gives me an additional meeting time to really work with the students who needed my help the most during the week.  

You should see how determined they are on Thursday to make sure everything has met my expectations!  They even come in early on Friday if they can to complete/improve things to make sure they get to choose the fun option of whatever card might appear in their pocket!   It is a "WIN-WIN" situation for us!  I get stellar work from them completed on time, and they get a fun activity that doesn't feel like work...Little do they know that I strategically choose their activity based on what I think they need to work on; but let's keep that our little secret! ;) SHHHHH!!!!  

What kinds of things do you do to encourage and motivate your students?  Head over to Joanne's and check out some other fabulous ideas!
Head Over Heels for Teaching

18 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! It is a win-win! A great way to get those centers/stations completed (to your expectations) and a nice reward for the kids! I like that they find their reward in their chart!-I love suspense! Thanks for sharing and coming to my party...your first linky! You did it!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bananagrams! I have been wanting to get some for the classroom- and now I must after this post. :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bananagrams are great! They differentiate themselves, therefore great for all levels! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! I think we'll be wrapping it up after testing is finally over!

    Thanks,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Good luck with testing! :)

      Delete
  4. I have heard a lot of people talk about bananagrams...I think I'm going to have to get a set for my classroom :)
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to motivate students to do their best work. I'm a new follower.

    Katrina
    Teacher of Scholars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katrina! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. Very fun!! I have seen Bananagrams but I don't really know how to play! I love that they have to meet all expectations and then they get a fun, but educational, reward! Very neat! Thanks for sharing!!

    We hold a linky on Sundays...check out the tab on the top of our blog called Must Read Mentor Texts for more info if you ever want to join up! :O)

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely link up with a Must Read Mentor Text! Thank you so much for inviting me and thanks for much for connecting! :)

      Delete
  7. I love your directions for Bananagrams. My kids love the game, but I have to teach it to each class every year. Having these directions will really help cut down on the questions as they learn to play.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great post Brandee! I love when we can foster opportunities for our kiddos to gain independence while meeting our high expectations. The "Wrapping It Up" task cards are cute and such a great idea. Thank you for also sharing your Banana-Grams *freebie*.

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. :). I just joined your blog as well. Have a great day!

      Delete
  9. Your sharing is very good, and you will be also to see the MissyDress Deutschland online store: http://www.missydress.de

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs