Apr 27, 2013

Spark Student Motivation with this FREE and EASY Writing Tip!

Hi! I am linking up with Joanne for her Spark Student Motivation Saturday LinkyToday I want to share a tip to encourage fabulous writing with a strategy that is free and easy!  
COMPLIMENTS!

 I had the honor and pleasure of attending a luncheon with Lola Schaefer a few
months ago.  She is an author of several professional books as well as many children’s book. Ms. Schaefer is also a phenomenal speaker and a huge proponent of writing inside and outside the classroom.  If you haven't seen any of her work, you should check her out!

 The greatest tip I learned from Ms. Schaefer is one that I will use for the remainder of my career. Her advice is simple, yet very effective... 


 Walk around the room and point out the good things you see in your students' writing and point those things out LOUDLY! 

 “Wow Bobby! I love how you used conjunctions to combine some of your sentences
to vary your sentence structure. This really helps your piece flow nicely. Looks great! Keep up the good work!” 

Then step back and watch the erasers start to fly as kids start to use conjunctions where they may not have originally!

If you think your kids need to use more adjectives, find someone who used adjectives and be very excited about it!

 As teachers, we often spot our students' mistakes and want to help them; but this type of help comes across as negative, even if we mean it constructively.  Students would much rather us brag on their work.  Who wouldn't?   Plus, its way more fun for us to be positive and get good results on the first try! 
Simple…yet very effective motivation! 
 Hope you can use this tip in your classroom!
Hope on over to Head Over Heels for Teaching and see some other motivational tips from some fabulous teachers.  
If you haven't connected yet, I would love for you to follow and comment with suggestions and things you do in your classrooms so that we can continue to learn from each other!  The bigger our learning network, the more we can continue to be LIFELONG LEARNERS!  
Enjoy your weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Everyone loves praise, don't they!?! Well, I do, and I agree that if your students hear you praising others for what they have done right, more students will try to get that praise too!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to do this as often as possible too and find that it really does get my little friends feeling good about themselves and makes others want to do the same!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  3. This totally works- I try to find something from the kids who usually don't get "the spotlight" to praise loudly about too! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your positive post (as usual!). Praise is so simple isn't it, and we love it too as adults! I hope everyone uses it during writing on Monday! It's these simple motivators I love reading! Thanks Brandee for coming to my party!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so important to praise our kiddos! Thanks for sharing a great reminder!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip! Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH my goodness am I so happy to have found your blog. Love it! I have become your newest follower and have bookmarked this post so I can go back a re- read it again. Pop over and see me when you have a chance!

    Joanne
    Visit me at Third Grade Is The Place To Be

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tip! Kids do love compliments and sometimes I need the reminder to compliment them out loud!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an easy thing to do and man does it work! It can even be a small behavior thing like "I love how Sandy is standing and waiting quietly!" Then everyone rushes to stand perfect. I love how easy it is and makes all involved feel great. Awesome tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I've ALWAYS done this with behavior, but not a lot with the classroom learning. What a great motivator! Will try!

    Shannon
    I Run Read Teach

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a fantastic idea! Thank you for sharing! :) I'm your newest follower!

    Brittany
    http://thesuperheroteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your idea of loudly complimenting your students. My students would love that. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Your newest follower,
    Beth
    easy peasy education

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs