May 1, 2013

*EXTREMELY COOL* Small Group Texts :)

Yay!  I love linking up to talk about books!  This week I am linking up with Jivey over at Ideas by Jivey to talk about books to use in small groups.  I could go on and on when I start talking about books, but I’ll try to keep it brief.   :)
 


Today I am going to tell you about some EXTREMELY COOL  BOOKS in a series called EXTREME JOBS. 
Because I meet with each of my small groups every day, I try to incorporate texts that relate to our culminating projects for the end of our units. I do this partly to expose them to as many aspects of the topic as I can, but mainly because it is more authentic and relevant to what they are working toward and that makes it more fun and interesting for them and for me

For example, we do a big unit on careers in the fall, and after much research and exploration, the students write informational essays on the pros and cons of their chosen careers.  So during our small group meetings for that unit, I try to focus all my text selections around careers no matter what standards or skills we are working on.   Of course, not all the careers we read about are the ones they are choosing to research, but I try to expose them to many different options and types of texts. 

Some of the most sought after texts for this particular unit are the EXTREME JOBS books.  These are short texts that are easy to explore in one small group meeting.  They are written on a lower level so they are easy reads for my lower groups and simple fun reads for my upper groups. 

They are great for many informational text standards.  We used them for main idea and details, vocabulary exploration, comparing and contrasting, and of course many research standards.  By the time we start working on our culminating projects, they are familiar with, and have lots of different sources from which to pull their pros and cons.    They have also been exposed to different types of career options that they may not have chosen without this exposure.  They are then free to research and use any or all the texts to find the information they need for their essays. 

Thanks for reading through my little blog!  I love chatting about what we do in my classroom and I love hearing about what goes on in yours.  Please link up to follow and leave a comment to let me know you took the time to read. :) If you are a fellow blogger, leave a link in your comment and I'll come over and learn from you too!  

11 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up!! These look like awesome nonfiction books! I'm always on the lookout for those...! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like great nonfiction books. I am always looking for new nonfiction books to share.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to use the same non-fiction books over and over, year after year so I am super appreciative of new book titles to check out - thanks for sharing this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These books look super interesting and would be a perfect fit for our careers unit! I'm definitely bookmarking this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also have a careers unit coming up and this looks great for that! I love great nonfiction stories!!

    Thanks!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look like some awesome non-fiction books! Thanks for sharing!

    :) Kaitlyn
    Smiles and Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  7. These books sound great! The page you featured is so visually appealing!

    Sarah

    MissKinBK

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the post. I am going to see if we have these books in our library. I found you on the linky party and I'm your newest follower, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. This set of books are new to me. I know many of my students would truly enjoy them. I am working on including more nonfiction to my small group book lists. Thanks for the wonderful suggestion!

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  10. These nonfiction books look awesome! I love how you organized your post too:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  11. These nonfiction books are awesome! I would love to have you join my linky! It's about sharing nonfiction books!

    www.ateacherwithoutaclass.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs