May 5, 2013

Fabulous Mentor Texts are just waiting to inspire your students and can be found in your mailbox or online! AND I've made you a freebie to use with them! :)

This week I am linking up with Collaboration Cuties to share a mentor text with you.   I love, love, love this linky because it is all about BOOKS!  
I am stepping slightly OUTSIDE OF THE BOX this week (that's where my students would tell you I live)  :)to share a different type of text.  CATALOGS!  
Who doesn't love to read catalogs, right?  And, best of all, (Loving this linky is costing me a lot of money! ) CATALOGS ARE FREE!  I teach fifth grade, and fifth graders love to shop! I bet kiddos of all ages love to shop.  You could use toy catalogs, camping catalogs, book catalogs, etc.  For my kiddos, I chose clothing catalogs!  Imagine their excitement! Authentic text are always more exciting!

Catalogs are fabulous texts to teach lots of skills and can be used across the curriculum.  The lesson I want to share with you is a lesson that focuses on VOICE that I pulled from writingfix.com years ago.  (GREAT SITE FOR 6+1 TRAITS OF WRITING, if you are interested) 

If you would like the specifics on my lesson, help yourself to my POWERPOINT or the PDF copy that does not have the attachments.  The POWERPOINT has a few samples of “Hey Jude” recorded by different artist from free sites.  The quality of the music is not great, but it serves the purpose well and they were FREE. :)  Just click in the musical instrument to play the music in the PPT.  Music is a great way to demonstrate voice in art, and good writing is an ART!  All I ask is that you follow and leave a comment to let me know you grabbed it.  :) 

Below you will see 4 samples of the 11 slides on the PPT.  We called the PPT our Heart and Soul lesson, because we talk about VOICE being the HEART AND SOUL of our WRITING. ;)  AND yes, that song is embedded in the PPT too. ;)

My lesson focuses on J.Peterman clothing.  It is a great site/catalog for this lesson because their descriptions of their clothing are phenomenal!  Perfect examples of GOOD VOICE IN WRITING!  If you've never visited their site, you will be amazed at the creativity that goes into their advertisements!  Great resource for writing, and… some cute clothes. ;)

Below you will see the main assignment slide from my PowerPoint and a sample advertisement that I modeled for my class.  As you can see, I enjoy writing with my students.  We had a blast with this assignment!



Don’t forget to click over to COLLABORATION CUTIES to see the other mentor texts that have been linked up and get ready to add to, or start a wishlist, because I always find lots of great suggestions with this linky!  Have a great SUNDAY!

18 comments:

  1. This is a very creative and innovative idea! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun. I certainly have plenty of catalogs arriving at my house most days. I'm going to have rethink their immediate placement in the recycle bin.
    Thanks so much for the ideas.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an awesome idea! I love that it uses an endless free supply of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandee for letting me know about my no reply issue. I think I fixed it. Will you let me know if it still doesn't work correctly?

      Delete
  4. Catalogs...what a genius idea! This is a great way to bring authentic, real-life texts into the classroom. And they are FREE! Thanks for the idea!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous idea - not only using the catalogues but teaching voice with them - brilliant. The J. Peterman examples make me want to watch Seinfeld! I am sharing this with the teachers at my school!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this idea! My fifth graders would have had so much fun with this... Can't help but think back to those classic episodes of Seinfeld! Ha! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Have a great week--
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! You're absolutely right... our kiddos need to practice all sorts of real-world writing. Sometimes, I get stuck on essays and narratives and forget to make time for things like this. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome idea!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm glad I found you- you have some great ideas!!!

    Kelly
    Koonce’s Korner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brandee,
    LOVE YOUR blog design and your creative ideas! I used a shopping theme at Christmas to teach math to my sixth graders. They were super engaged as they chose items for loved ones, calculated taxes and shipping and wrote cheques to cover their purchases. I think this activity would work brilliantly with my class. I hate to admit that I thought J.Peterman was just a Seinfeld joke! Now I know better!
    Have a great week, I look forward to reading your upcoming posts.
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great ideas! I never would have thought about using catalogs. I love the idea of exposing students to different types of text. That advertising assignment sounds like fun.

    Thanks for sharing! I am definitely pinning this post.

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brandee, I'm so excited you stopped by my blog! It's nice to meet another fellow SC blogger! You've got my interest now, I would love to hear what your idea is!!!! You can email me at: anappleadayinfirstgrade@gmail.com with all of the details. I can't wait to hear from you! I'm your newest SC follower!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you stepped outside the box and used catalogs! What a great idea! I've thought about using Scholastic catalogs but not regular catalogs! What a great idea!!

    Thanks so much for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a neat idea! I love the "for an astounding salary" bit. So well thought out!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW, WOW, WOW! What a fantastic lesson! I am sooooo glad that you invited me to stop by! I am wishing I had time to squeeze this in before the end of the year, but you can be sure I'm going to use this next year! Thanks for sharing!

    Angela, your newest follower
    The Teacher's Desk 6

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for the powerpoint. I snagged it today. I'm catching up on all of your older posts as I just started following you. I am looping up to 4th grade in the fall and we have "The Writing Test" in Florida in 4th grade so I am on the look out for awesome writing lessons. I can't wait to use your powerpoint in voice!!! Thanks again.

    :) Nicole
    Tadpole Tidbits
    www.mrscorbitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you linked back to this blog post or I would have missed it! I'm pinning it so I can refer back to your awesome powerpoint and resources about voice.

    Thanks for sharing your out of the box ideas. They are usually the best kind, aren't they?!?

    :)
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs