May 3, 2013

Five for Friday!

Happy Weekend Teacher Friends! 
 I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for FRIDAY! Here are my 5 random things from the week!


#1 I've been accepted to attend our local branch of the National Writing Project Summer Institute!  I'm very excited...Have any of you ever attended?  I am sure I will be posting more about it this summer.  Also, I would love to hear about any experiences you guys have had with the program.  It seems to be a very popular topic on several educational social media sites right now.


#2 Who says you can't do ABC's in fifth grade?  We are starting a new unit in our
classroom next week and our focus will be ABC's!   I'm very excited and spent some time planning it this week.  We are going to do one RESEARCH ABC book to address our Social Studies standards from this year as review. Then they are going to stroll down memory lane of elementary school and remember some of their favorite children's literature books and authors to create one last ABC book before they leave for the big world of middle school! Be on the look out for a post with more details about this unit!  We are excited! :)




#3 Testing is next week.... enough said!



#4 Some of my students have found a new love!  Are you familiar Gordon Korman's On the Run series?  If you aren't, you should check out BOOK 1 and see how many kids you can hook on the series!  We have a waiting list going... :)



#5 I'm off to Family Camp with my 3 boys (2 sons and my husband)!  It's tons of fun.  Our church hosts it every year and we spend the entire weekend dressing in silly costumes, playing games, and simply spending time together.  I may update with a picture later in the weekend...I am sure they are some silly pics in my near future! ;)



I'm trying to reach 200 followers before my one month blogging anniversary (YAY!) which is in 8 days...If you would like to connect to follow, PLEASE DO ;), and leave a comment with a link so that I can come over and follow you as well. :)  The bigger our learning network, the more we can grow, learn, and continue to be LIFELONG LEARNERS. 
Happy FRIDAY! :)

Don't forget to click over to Doodle Bugs Teaching to see what everyone else was up to this week!




16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being accepted to the NWP! I am a Pennsylvania Writing Fellow, class of 2011. It is such a fantastic time, I learned so much and it really transformed the way I teach writing! I can't wait to read all about your experience!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog post! Accepted to NWP and almost 200 followers. Wahoo! I just followed you, so you are one step closer. Hope you get there!

    Mandy
    Caffeine and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- congrats on being accepted in the NWP!! That is wonderful! I think your 5th graders will have lots of fun with the ABC activities. Enjoy your family camp!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting that you will be attending the NWP! I hope you do lots of posts about what you learn! :)
    Julie
    Ms. Shope's Class

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being accepted to the NWP. I sent my application in this week and REALLY HOPE to be accepted. Can't wait to read your summer posts about what you are learning.

    Have fun at camp!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Brandee! Can't wait to read your posts about the writing project! I love ABC books too! It's such a great review and the kids love making them!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad I found your blog too! I am your newest follower. I love the idea of an ABC book to review the standards for the year. Thanks for the book recommendations. I have two boys in third and sixth and I am always looking for a series to hook them:)

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I hope you entered or will enter my giveaway! Although you teach LA, maybe one of your colleagues would enjoy a free CCSS Fraction Kit from ETA hand2mind!
    I'm so glad to find an upper grade blog! I'm your newest follower too!
    "autumn"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Camp sounds like so much fun! Have a great weekend :)

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your ABC idea. I can't wait to read and see more!!
    Shawna
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to do an ABC book. I even have the template all set up and ready to go...one day I will! Can't wait to see the final product!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck on the state testing. I think we are just as nervous as our kids are. (At least I always am.)

    Krystyn
    Ms Richards's Musings

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on getting accepted to the National Writing Project. I participated in 2011 and I am so glad I did! The experience was life-changing! Looking forward to reading about what you learned. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm doing literature circle groups with my students right now, and I am using the first book in the "On the Run" series. My students LOVE it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on being accepted to go the the NWP. I'd love to hear all about it. I also love your mini me and I hope to get one myself. You and I must have started blogging at the same time but I don't have the following you have yet. I love blogging and it looks like you do too. I went to the IRA in San Antonio and blogged about it, loved it!

    I look forward to reading more. I think we share the same passion for writing and literacy!

    :) Shelley

    The Perks of Teaching Primary

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs