May 11, 2013

How can we keep our students reading, thinking, and writing as the end of the year approaches? I've got a TRICK!

Happy Saturday Morning Teacher Friends! At this point, I am sure we could all use a few more tricks up our sleeves to keep these kiddos motivated! ;)
Here’s a tip that will kill 2 birds with one stone…just a figure of speech, I promise. ;) 
My students are still working hard with reading and writing, but some of them are no longer working in their own notebooks! Students that are really producing good results are being chosen to create MODELS for me to use with my students in the fall! 

For example, I have wanted to make Shared Writing Journals all year long and
simply haven’t had the time. I have read so many fabulous posts on the subject that I simply couldn't resist any longer! You can read what Holly over at Fourth Grade Flipper wrote about them here, and what Tara over at 4th Grade Frolics wrote about them here. I am sure there are tons of fabulous posts out there on these journals if you would like more information. Here is my version.  I love Phillip Martin clip art  so of course, I had some find some cuties for our Shared Writing Covers!
I explained that I needed a few really good samples in each book for my students to use next year…wink…wink! So, kids that are showing fabulous writing in other areas, are getting to made my MODELS for next year. ;)


My students are also creating binders for our classroom library with MODEL BOOK TALK responses (see post here if you like) for the students to use in the fall as well. This will allow those students to see what my current kiddos are reading, and just as important, see what my expectations are for BOOK TALK responses. My kids know that they are working on MODELS, so they know it must be FABULOUS work or I simply can’t use them…again, wink, wink! 


So there you have it! My tip to keep fabulous work going, even when their sweet brains are already splashing in the pool, is to ask for help! They are still reading, writing, and thinking…but they don’t realize it. They just think they are helping me get organized and ready for next year! wink, wink! ;)  
Enjoy your Saturday! :)

14 comments:

  1. I love your model book talk idea! What a great way for students to contribute to the learning of those to come in future years. I do believe I will have my second graders to this as we end the year. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Have a great weekend,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a FABULOUS idea!!! This is one of those that gets filed in the, "why didn't I think of that?" folder! :-P I think my kiddos will be working hard next week! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous idea! I can certainly use this down with my first graders as well. I love the idea of then having model papers for next year. I know my little ones would try their hardest so their work gets picked! Thanks for sharing-this is a great motivator!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! My kids were so excited when I let them choose to give me their posters to use as examples for next year. I will be using this trick for the last few days of school to keep their work fabulous! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to have them be models for next year's students! That is certainly motivating for them to do their best. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! My kiddos love when I ask if I can share a copy of there work next year as an example-this way they are already in a notebook! If we have time before the school year ends I am going to try this, thanks!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these ideas! YOu are motivating them to do their best and you will have excellent student samples for next year. I am so excited to borrow (steal) this idea from you!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I *love* the creativity of your students! What a great idea and something to refer students to when "book shopping" next year! :)
    Erin
    I'm Lovin Lit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the book talk idea and I am sure that knowing next year's students will be seeing their working is a motivator for students to do their best. Thanks for sharing!

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brandee, I love your ways for keeping learning exciting right to the end. That's a great idea to let the kids make work samples for next year! I'm your newest follower. I'll be coming back to read your older posts!

    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Brandee! I found your blog because you left a comment on mine! Wow!! You've only been blogging for 1 month?? You look like an expert! You have so many great ideas! I can't wait to browse around your blog this weekend. I can't "play" until after I finish some report cards. lol. Thanks for visiting me! :) I will be following you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that I'm from lightscamerateach.blogspot.com :)

      Delete
  12. I LOVE this idea of having the students "model" their writing for next year's students in the journals! Wow!! I need to find a way to incorporate that. My journals aren't even close to being full but all entries are still there. I wanted to use the same journals again next year. Hmmm...
    Also, THANK YOU for the shout-out! You're the best:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really think I almost winked while reading this post. LOL! :)

    Great idea to keep those little brains active during these last few crazy days of school!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs