May 13, 2013

Literacy Station Binders

Happy Monday! I’m linking up with 4th Grade Frolics for my first Monday Made-it
This isn't something that I just made; these are constant works in progress, however I have been working on them a lot lately to help get organized for next year. 

My Station Binders are always evolving and they serve 3 purposes for me each and every day.  I use them all day long! 

Purpose #1 ~ The binders serve as a Station Signs so that students know where to go after checking our rotation chart. If you would like more information about our rotations, you can find it here

Purpose #2 ~I slide DIRECTIONS straight into the binders just in case students forget what they are supposed to do while they are at that station…Of course, that never happens, right? 

Purpose #3 ~ Quite possibly the most important purpose these little binders serve for me is STORAGE AND ORGANIZATION! As you may know, I teach 3 ELA blocks a day and am a firm believer in Balanced Literacy. Balanced Literacy requires lots and lots of books, articles, magazines, etc. These binders allow a place for me to file our task cards so that they don’t get lost in the shuffle. They are right where I need them when I want to reuse them later, or even the following year. 
I try to keep the task cards very vague so that my students and I can apply them to many different texts throughout the year. I have 4 binders for each station category in my classroom. For example, I always make 4 copies of each task card, and store 1 copy of each in a binder for that station. When I need that card, all I have to do is un-clip them from inside the binders and slide the directions in front of the generic station sign. Each binder has generic directions for each station that allows my students to choose a task card from the binder if I don’t have a specific standard that I want them to work on for that day. 



Do you have any suggestions for how I can improve my binders? They work great for me but there as always we need to keep learning and improving! 

Click over and visit 4th Grade Frolics and see what other bloggers have made this week.  

7 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike! I like your storage idea. I started with math because I am doing a Daily 5 Math workshop right after school gets out. We have some make-it take-it time, so I want to know what I have and what I need. I get to do my ELA organization after I finish math.Learning in Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up on my reply status.
    Learning in Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those binders! So organized and keeps everything together nicely!

    Brittany
    Closing the Gap... in a Cute Outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas for how to keep your stations organized. Something I definitely need to work on this summer is a way to organize and keep task cards for use year to year.

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of using binders, and then sliding the directions in the front see through part. That is really a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your ideas for stations! Stations are something I am constantly updating and changing in order for them to run smoothly and keep students engaged. Happy to be following your blog!

    Carrie
    Table Talk with C & C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog and love it! Where did you get your ideas for task cards? Do you have samples that you would share?
    t

    Thank you ,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs