May 31, 2013

My Week in Review :)

HAPPY FRIDAY Teacher Friends! It's my last Friday of the school year! Today I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching and Teaching Maddeness for a quick review of my week!
1 ~ First up on my review...My 3.0 tennis team made it all the way to the finals in our state tournament!  Okay, so we didn't win.  I actually lost my singles match in a tie-break in the finals, but I have come to accept that making it to the finals was a big deal...and I'm trying to accept the loss.  :)  It has been said that I might be a bit competitive...  What's wrong with that? ;)
2 ~ Next up is classroom decorations!  Thanks to Elizabeth over at Fun in 4B, I have new word wall letters ready to go up for next year, complete with the owls from my header. :) Thanks Elizabeth for letting me use your Cri-cut!  Fabulous gadget!  
Also, My wonderful husband has added some additional shelves to my classroom library and I am very excited!  YAY!  Now I have room for more books!  MUST GO SHOPPING! :)

3 ~ Yesterday was READING IS FUN DAY at our school.  We had lots of fun reading activities for the kids, but my favorite was definitely a QR Scavenger Hunt.  The clues lead my kiddos around our school with hints about different books we have read together this year, and also led them to locations around our school that have meant a lot to them over the years...My big guys will be leaving elementary school next week for the last time as students. 

4 ~ I can't do a weekly review without mentioning, okay begging, for suggestions to add my my Social Studies book list for next year.  I have been gathering and organizing my historical texts by topic for my integrated units for next year.  I've never taught Social Studies and am very excited to be fully integrating our Social Studies standards into my informational text instruction in Language Arts.  Suggestions are welcomed, and very much appreciated!

Units (civil rights throughout all units) 1. Reconstruction
2. Westward Expansion
3. Immigration and Industrialization
4. Becoming a World Power
5. The Great Depression
6. World War II
7. The Cold War
8. Globalization



5 ~ Lastly...We call our field day, "Kaleidoscope DAY" because we do a kaleidoscope of activities all day long!  Here's a picture of my partner-teacher and me(I'm in the gray top and skirt.) and  a few precious kiddos having a ball.  The sweet boy in the purple and the other sweet boy in green are my own precious babies.  I slipped away for a few pics of them while my students were playing.  :)
I hope you guys all had fabulous weeks! Thanks for reading. I'll be hopping around and checking out what everyone else was up to this week. Click over and join me as I hop at Teaching Maddeness and Doodle Bugs Teaching! Have a great weekend!

13 comments:

  1. WOW! Congrats on the tennis finals, that is a huge deal! Looks like you had a grand time at Kaleidoscope day. Our school doesn't do anything like this all together for a whole day. Our big kids do go into the next town over and join their 5th grade Olympics though...Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like to me that you did fabulous at your tennis tournament!! But I also understand the competitiveness of wanting to win it. :) The QR scavenger hunt is a great idea and the kids must have loved it!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the tennis finals! I love the name for your field day and it looks like a blast! Enjoy your weekend!
    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will teach the exact same units in SS! :) Do you teach in SC by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl! Thanks for the shout out :) The Cricut is amazing, huh? You are welcome to borrow it anytime, but I have a feeling that you will be getting one of your own at some point! Wasn't Reading is Fun a great day? I know I've already told you in person, but congrats on making it so far with tennis! So proud of you!!
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got out of school today as well. Congratulations :) Hope you have a fantastic summer. Let the organization and planning begin!

    Angie
    Teaching with Class

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our school bought a Cricut for us to have in the staffroom... it's always highly in demand! :)

    Lauren
    Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once I clean out my books next week I know I will have more suggestions for you, I promise!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to you and your tennis team! That is quite an accomplishment. I am chuckling about your next year's decorations... as much as I grumble and look forward to the end of the school year I am already making plans for next year, too. Aren't we teachers a hoot?

    Angela
    The Teacher's Desk 6

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed reading your post, as always! Congrats to your tennis team--what a great achievement! I do have a suggestion of a historical fiction text related to the Great Depression, if you have not already heard of it. I used, "Nowhere to Call Home" by Cynthia DeFelice. It is about a young girl of privilege whose father takes his life (small part in the beginning) and she decides to jump trains disguised as a boy. It chronicles her journey in a historically correct way. A touching story, yet historically informative (the physical and emotional hardships). If you have not read it yet, check it out! My fifth graders enjoyed the novel so much that they read many more of DeFelice's novels...

    All the best--
    Sarah @ Hoots N HOllers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! That is awesome about your tennis team! The scavenger hunt with QR codes and books they have read sounds like a blast! I would love to know more about how you set this up. Your boys ARE so sweet:) That is awesome you can sneak a picture of them on your field day! I can't think of much for books right now since I teach 4th grade and don't cover those topics you mentioned. Before that I taught 6th grade ancient civilizations...not much help there either:(
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Brandee!

    I love the series "if you lived at the time of...." They have them for most your topics. I also love the civil war picture book about Sarah edmunds, scaled nurse, soldier, spy. And the ww2 book called victory gardens.

    Hope that helps!!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am on the summer hunt for QR code ideas for next year-it is my summer project. LOVE the idea of having students travel around the school searching for books and sharing their reading life. Thanks so much for this post!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs