May 4, 2013

Spark Motivation to Read!

YAY for Saturday and YAY for another fun linky! 

This is a small strategy but it works wonders in my classroom.


To motivate kids to really read deeply and to really work hard for their Book Talk responses for conferences, (see post here for more information) I sometimes choose BOOK REVIEWERS for new books in our classroom library. If it is a book I haven’t read, or if it is a book they think I haven’t read, I tell them that I need them to be very thorough with their responses, so that I will know all about the book and can sound like I have read it when someone else chooses to conference about it! ;) I try to pretend that I really need their help and that I simply don’t have time to read it in time to be ready for the conferences. ;)

This is getting increasingly more difficult because they know I have read most of the books in our library, and I talk about books with them literally all day, so it is difficult to find a book that I can convince them that I haven’t read yet. They are to the point where they just smile and agree to be my BOOK REVEIWERS, knowing that I am probably bluffing. :)  BUT they still do an awesome job just in case! :) Lots of fun and it WORKS!



Don't forget to click over to see Head over Heels for Teaching and see the other motivational tricks and strategies teachers are posting today
Also, please leave a comment and let me know if you have any suggestions or strategies to share about how you motivate your kiddos to read. :)
Thanks so much for reading through my little blog. :)

7 comments:

  1. I like the book reviewer activity! Do you have a place where you post all of the reviews or do the students get to share their reviews with others?
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of book reviewers! I think I could even do this with my little kindergartners and 1st graders- I just might have to read them the book first and then get their review!
    Thanks for the idea!
    Aylin

    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the small strategies-those are the ones I can implement immediately! Love the book reviewer idea-you're so clever! I actually really do need some of those-I don't have time to read all my books-I'm very blessed with a huge classroom library! Thanks Brandee for linking up and sharing another great idea!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brandee! Love this blog... just stopped by to say hello and to thank you for visiting my blog! Stop by anytime and say hello, or let me know if I can do anything to brighten your day!

    Susanna Westby
    Whimsy Workshop

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea!! Super cute! Thanks for sharing! I'll have to keep it in mind for next year!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you stopped by my blog! I love finding new ideas for reading! The book reviews are great ideas to help get students to really pay attention to what they are reading!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the book reviewer idea! Thanks for sharing. :)
    Tammi
    The Balanced Classroom

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs