May 25, 2013

Spark Student Motivation with Techonolgy

Happy Saturday! Just a quick post to link up with the fabulous Joanne over at Head Over Heels for Teaching! :)

She is hosting a party to link up about Student Motivation.
Student Motivation in one word: TECHNOLOGY!

I teach 3 different ELA classes of varied ability levels.  TECHNOLOGY is the one tool that motivates ALL kids on ALL performance levels.  

I'll offer two pieces of evidence to prove this fact.  :)

Evidence #1 One of my students in particular struggles a great deal and is very dependent on the resource teacher or me for most assignments.  However, he has gained a tremendous amount of confidence while researching on an iPod.  This past week, he politely put his hand in the air as we offered to help and he stated, "I got this!"  With joy, we walked away to let him fly...and he did!  A very proud moment for all of us!

Evidence #2  My students have gotten a bit lazy about getting papers signed, etc.  This past week, I sent home a permission form to allow my students to set up EDMODO accounts for a SUMMER BOOK CLUB!  That was one paper that few kids forgot!  They were thrilled and had a ball making their first posts!  This made my day for several reasons.  I love the implications of this for their reading, as well as for constructive use of technology for them this summer.  I'm really loving EDMODO right now!

Students are motivated and driven by TECHNOLOGY.   If we harness that drive and use it to push our students, imagine how far they can go!

Have a great weekend!  I'm in between State Tournament tennis matches today!  I won my first this morning and I'm heading out for #2!  Wish me luck!

8 comments:

  1. I'm anxious to see how you Edmoto summer works out.. sounds like something I might do in the future!
    Good luck with your tournament.
    :)
    Erin
    I'm Lovin Lit

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh-love that you provided evidence to prove your reasoning about using technology for motivation- love that!! Good luck in your tournament! Sounds like you are off to a great start. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brandee,
    Good luck on your tournament!! You will do great :) I love that you are giving your students so many opportunities to use technology, it is definitely a great way to keep and get students involved and motivated!!
    Shawna
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried Edmodo a few different times, but have yet to get it grounded enough to work. I do love that fabulous idea though and hope that some day I'll be able to integrate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl! How do you have time for tennis??!! I agree, technology is a great way to differentiate instruction! Wish I had a class set of something! Thanks for linking up even on a busy day! I appreciate you!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree, agree, agree. Technology is the #1 motivating factor for my students (and my own kids).

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Brandee for this post because I have been debating on how to use student cell phones and ipods in a way that is only educational, but of course that fear of "will they use it appropriately and will they text in class" has crossed my mind. Have you allowed the use of cell phones - any tips?
    Doodling Around in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good reminder... Some of our older students have used technology inappropriately, but I'd love to get my hands on a few iPods for my new 2/3 class next year! Must start looking...

    ~Erin
    Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs