May 30, 2013

The Simplest and Most Used App in Our Classroom

Happy Friday Eve Teacher Friends!  Today I'm linking up with The Eager Teacher for TEACHERS TALKING TECH on THURSDAYS and I'd like to share an app that I simply couldn't live without!
Have you ever used STICK PICK
I know what you are thinking.  What in the world would a fifth grade literacy teacher do with a simple app like this?  The answer is way more than you think! :)  At the end of our Book Talk (independent reading time) my students know that I will "pick a stick" and they will need to share details and thoughts about the novel they were reading during that time.  The pressure is on and they LOVE IT!  It's simple and easy but it holds them accountable which I LOVE!  We have an anchor chart of thinking stems in our classroom.  They share a few details and at least one thought using a thinking stem to get them going if necessary.  They have learned to speak intelligently about what they are reading and don't want to stop after they get started!  Their friends are instantly interested in their books and we often have to start waiting lists because of these conversations! :)

Then, just when you think the pressure is off, I use it again at the end of our LITERACY WORKSHOP.  They are required to share something they learned during our workshop time and their thoughts about this new knowledge.  By the end of the first week, you can see them preparing their answers JUST IN CASE their "STICK GETS PICKED!" :)  

Love it!  The simplest but most useful app in my classroom!  Accountability and thinking at it's best each and every day!  

Thanks for reading!  Click over and visit The Eager Teacher and see what other tidbits of technology are being shared today!

3 comments:

  1. WOW! I guess there is an app for everything. Who knew??? This sounds great! I will definitely check it out. Have a great Friday!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool!!! I downloaded it just now! Thank you for sharing. Isn't it funny how something as simple as this can be so much more intriguing for our kids when it's on an app?

    I just read your bio and I am so jealous you teach 5th! Don't get me wrong, I love my 1st and 2nd graders but I used to teach 5th and it was my favorite!

    Thanks for joining my linky party- see you next Thursday I hope! :)

    Sarah
    The Eager Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Stick Picks as well! You can hear a pin drop while they listen to the sticks clank in the can waiting for the name!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs