May 29, 2013

Workshop Wednesday ~ Persuasive Writing and a little Geography Research! :)

It's time for one of my favorite linky parties!  Today I'm linking up with Jivey for Workshop Wednesday.  The focus today is PERSUASIVE WRITING.

I have a quick lesson to share with you about one of my favorite books...I know, if you read my blog often, I refer to a lot of books as my favorites!  It's true...they all are!

The lesson I'd like to share with you is a lesson that goes with the book, BEN'S DREAM. This is a fun book that has a bit of a hidden story that might catch you by surprise at the end. :)  You can read a little more about it in my Chris Van Allsburg SPOILER post here. (There's also a contest going on for a free book on this particular post. :))  After we read the book, to spark their interest, we used Google Earth to visit each landmark that was mentioned in the book and did some brief research.  

I then explained that I was trying desperately to choose which landmark I might visit this summer and that I needed their help.  (No such luck for me, but it was fun to pretend! )  I explained that their task would be to write a letter to me and persuade me to visit the landmark of their choosing.  We discussed all the things they knew about their audience,(me) and my likes and dislikes, because these are important in persuasive pieces.  I went into great detail about how much I love great restaurants. :) I also pointed out the things that they might want to avoid in their letters such as snakes, spiders, anything dangerous, etc.  We had a good laugh! :)

After lots of talk about how excited I was about my trip, they were off to work!  I received some fabulous letters and each and every letter mentioned what types of foods I would get to eat while I was there.  ;)  The point I wanted to make was the importance of knowing your audience when writing a persuasive piece and I think they got that message.  They learned a lot about 10 different landmarks from around the world through their own research and also learned to be very aware of their audience when writing a persuasive piece. This lesson involved, lots of reading, writing, researching , thinking and problem solving...and, best of all, we had a lot of FUN doing it!

Thanks for stopping by!  I hope the rest of your week is fabulous and wonderful!  We are almost there teacher friends! :)

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book and a great writing piece, too!! Thanks for linking up! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea! It also helps them become familiar with some of America's Landmarks. Thanks!

    :) Kaitlyn
    Smiles and Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great lesson and a new book for me to add to my list! Thanks Brandee!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that book, and such a fun writing idea. Thanks so much for sharing what you do!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of that book, but it sounds awesome for teaching landmarks and geography. I love how you tied it into writing. Bloggers are just the best, most creative people!

    -Amanda
    Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally pinning for next year.. you rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Audience is SO important when writing persuasively! Thank you for pointing that out because it is easy for our little kiddos to forget that. :)

    Since we will both be participating in the National Writing Project Summer Institute, would you be interested in starting up a blog with me and another blogger who is also participating to share what we learn in our institutes? Let me know!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooo, I love this idea! And it's totally life and social studies applicable! Even better! Now I see what you mean about choosing a different topic to relate A Fine Fine School too! I totally love this and will be using it next year!!!

    Thank yooooooooooou!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Google Earth application along with the persuasive writing!!

    Thank you!
    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs