Jun 30, 2013

Ah....A Beautiful Collection of Words {Mentor Text Suggestion & a Freebie}

Doesn't the thought of a collector of words make you smile? :)  I like to use The Boy Who Loved Words at the beginning of each year to demonstrate that we will approach words as beautiful things to collect all year long.  I'm linking up with Collaboration Cuties today to talk about Back to School books.


Now, if you've read about our Word Attack Notebooks, you might think that words aren't actually safe in our classroom. :)  (evil laugh...)  :)  We do treasure them.  We may attack them first, but then they are treasured forever. ;)

I first read about this nice little word collector at Always Write.  If you aren't familiar with this site, please check it out!  It is a wonderful resource with lots of fabulous lessons.

The Boy Who Loved Words is about a little fellow who collects so many words that it initially causes problems for him.  He eventually solves this problem by finding the most wonderful uses for all of his words.



Not only is this a great book to show the importance of beautiful words, it is a great book to teach vocabulary.  Where else will you find a better collection of words to explore, than a book written for the purpose of collecting beautiful words?  This is a Word Work Station waiting to happen!

 Any word exploration strategies or task cards would work effectively with this book.  If you are interested, here's a strategy that I like to use from time to time.  Feel free to grab it here if you like. :)  I have several copies printed in color on task cards and laminated.  I leave the task card, along with a few books with vivid vocabulary on a table.  They duplicate the circle map in their notebooks for a bit of word exploration.  Yes, they only gain one word with this strategy...but they GAIN one word in a big way, and it sticks! :)  This is a great book to pin point a few FABULOUS WORDS that you want to stick for a very long time.  :)




**************************
Two little reminders before you go!
#1
 Jivey from Ideas by Jivey along with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties are organizing a MEET-UP for the Southeastern Bloggers!  I'm very excited and I am trying to help spread the word.  Visit either of the blogs listed above for more information.  :)

#2
Follow on Bloglovin
Today is the LAST DAY to enter more than 170 Bloglovin' GIVEAWAYS!
Please CLICK above to follow on Bloglovin, and THEN click HERE to find a gift card GIVEAWAY to TARGET, everybody loves TARGET!
Have a FABULOUS day! :)

19 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book. It sounds like the perfect book to start the year.

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was cleaning my room this year for the end of the year I found this book and realized I hadn't used it last year. It is such a beautiful book. I am looking forward to sharing it with my kiddos in the fall.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible website! Thanks for the tip:). They should thank you too since I just ordered a set of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds like a great reading workshop tool. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful book! Adding the Always Write site to my list to share with teachers. Thanks!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just pinned the website- I have never seen it and I can't wait to spend hours looking at it! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great book; any book that shows the importance of vocabulary is wonderful!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a wonderful book. I have always read Max's Words, but I'm adding this to my Amazon wish list for next year. Thanks for the freebie. I've already downloaded, printed, and put in my binder behind vocabulary ideas. Another terrific post!!

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the wonderful post (as always), the new book, new website, and new strategy with a freebie. WOW! That is just about all I can say, wow!

    :) Nicole
    Tadpole Tidbits
    www.mrscorbitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always have great book suggestions, Brandee. :)
    This is a wonderful story!
    P.S. Pinned your word circle map :)
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book pops up on my amazon suggestions and I haven't bought. I'll have to on my next shopping trip. Anything to help with vocabulary.
    The meet up sound fun. I'm checking on it.
    Have a good evening.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a great book! I think I've seen it before but I have never read it. I love how you use it and I have never heard of that website! I need to do a better job of looking for online resources before I create all of my own! :O)

    Thanks so much for linking up!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great suggestion! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity...

    Have a great week,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved all of it...as usual! (How terrible, I feel like I have that book, too many to keep count). I'm adding to my wishlist, but will check school first. A definite must have! I LOVE WORDS!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI Brandee,

    I loved the Word Circle Map! Very cool idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love using this book in my fifth grade classroom as well! This year we collected words in a little envelope in the back of our writer's notebooks to honor beautiful vocabulary and fresh language. I love going the next step to a Word Work station having students find a word to really "learn". I can't wait to add this lesson to reading next year!

    Thanks so much!
    - Amanda
    http://myshoestringlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love children's books, but I have never heard of this one. Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. La ragione popolarità di ristorante milano è che essi presentano i pasti nel modo più fantasioso e creativo possibile. Ogni piatto è come un'opera d'arte per chef italiani. Sono gli unici ristoranti che producono le pizze da 20 pollici, che hanno respirato varie verdure diverse, frutti di mare, le spezie e carni che non si sarebbe nemmeno pensare di combinare.http://www.ristorante.milano.it

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs