Jun 27, 2013

Integrating Technology into Reading Classrooms {Linky Party with Lots of Ideas}

Ahhhh....A Linky made in heaven for ME!  I love reading and I love technology.  Click over and visit iTeach 1:1 and Learning to the Core to see who's at the party!  Now let's see, where shall I start?

We use several apps to manage our Literacy Workshop time.  You can read about those here and here.


A while back I wrote a post about WONDEROPOLIS!  We often use WODEROPOLIS in our informational text station.  You can read more about how we use it in this post. If you aren't familiar with this site, you should check it out.  There is a very user-friendly app available as well.  




I've also blogged a bit about using EDMODO for BOOK TALKS.  We set up a private group during the last month of school, and so far, my students are still reading and posting even though school's out for SUMMER!  I know...it makes me smile too! :)  You can read more about our Summer Book Talks with EDMODO on this post.




We did a QR Scavenger Hunt to reflect on some of the read-alouds we shared together during the year.  Each clue was a hint about a certain book and a clue as to where they could find that book hidden.  They had to remember the book, find the secret location, and then open the book to find their next clue!  FUN, FUN, FUN!  You can read about it in #3 here.  :)  I created the QR HUNT using a free app called RED LASER, and then my kiddos used Red Laser on our iPods to scan the codes to find the clues.

Since reading and writing go hand in hand, I have what I think is a very useful tip for integrating technology into writing.  You can find my tutorial for setting this up here, but the basic concept is simple.  I love to for my students to run readability tests on their writing.  They love to watch their score increase, I love to teach them the revising skills that send that score high above their grade level.  Sentence structure, vocabulary, correct spelling and punctuation, details, etc., in writing, all increase readability scores. I have found  that this is a great way to get students to see the importance of using revision skills.  When they see it in action, they start to look for these elements in their novels, and begin to read more critically.  Reading and writing go hand in hand. :)


As you can tell from all the previous posts, I love to integrate TECHNOLOGY into my READING CLASSROOM.

I have one last integration to share with you.  GOOGLE!  I know...Everybody uses GOOGLE in their classrooms, but I couldn't post about integration without mentioning the value of simply having the technology available.  I LOVE BOOKS, don't get me wrong, but if I hand my students an iPod and ask them to research a topic and write down a few facts, I will get way more reading, writing, and information from them with an iPod than if I had simply asked them to look it up in a book, much less a textbook.  I'm just saying...GOOGLE wins over a TEXTBOOK every time!

*************************

Now...onto some GROWN-UP technology.  :)  WOW!  I bet the BLOGLOVIN' people were blown away yesterday!  I am sure some records were broken for them thanks to the huge GIVEAWAY that's going on!

I have joined with a LARGE group of bloggers to help everyone get started with Bloglovin'!  If you haven't set up an account- it is free, and it is FABULOUS!  You don't have to be a blogger to join, and there's a great app available once you set up an account.  It's a great way to keep track of all the blogs you like to read, and have the newest posts available in an organized fashion.

Follow on Bloglovin

Please CLICK above to follow on Bloglovin, and THEN click here to find directions to register to win a gift card from TARGET!  Who doesn't love TARGET, right?

You can find the linky party with lots of GIVEAWAYS here
Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. I love every single one of these ideas! I'm especially intrigued about Wonderopolis because I'm always looking for more nonfiction material.
    The QR scavenger hunt sounds amazing. I've never done a reading one, but I love the idea of doing one about books you've read together. Thanks so much for linking up- I hope you'll be back next week with your amazing ideas!:)

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I pinned all these ideas to check them out later! I have never heard of Wonderopolis but it sounds neat!

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled upon Wonderopolis this summer on Pinterest. Thanks for sharing how you used it. I'm really looking forward to trying it out in my classroom this summer.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many great ideas! I will be checking out more of Wonderopolis.

    Jamie
    Sixth Grade Tales

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas, Brandee! I am a friend of Google, too. Isn't that what WE do when we need information? So, why not teach our students how to go there, too. You are right, so much better than a textbook :)

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing ideas! Thanks for sharing about Wonderopolis, I'm very intrigued. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your idea of the Edmodod summer book club! I'm pinning and saving for next year (or maybe even winter break with the book I give them as a gift???) Hmmm....
    Happy to be your newest follower on bloglovin!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing Wonderopolis with your followers. As a wonderlead, I am excited to see so many positive comments about exploring the site. If you are interested, explore the educator's playground also because each wonder lead has a unique niche from K-12 and also tech. support teacher. http://wonderopolis.org/sandbox/ Thanks for amazing wealth of information I enjoy your blog I grow every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great information! You are such a technology guru that I know I will always find some good ideas on your website! )

    Hope you had a great day!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to incorporate technology into what I teach, but iPads are new next year. I've been playing around with mine so far this summer, and your suggestions are great! Thanks so much!
    Marion
    MentoringintheMiddle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I TOTALLY agree with you about Google!! I didn't even think of that! I love looking back at your other fabulous posts so I think I will just pin this page and have it all saved in one place:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Brandee,
    I love that you have so many ideas to share that you use in your literacy workshop! Wonderopolis sounds like it must be very engaging for students to explore new ideas! How impressive that your students are still using your Edmodo book talks over the summer-- I'm telling you, I really want to be in your class! :)
    Thanks so much for linking up!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Wonderopolis -- it's such a great site. And the QR code book hunt is such a fabulous idea -- I'm going to have to try that this year.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Alison
    Eberopolis: Teaching Reading & Writing with Technology

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs