Jun 16, 2013

Look to the Stars {Mentor Text Suggestion}


I'm excited to link up with Collaboration Cuties to share a mentor text suggestion today!  I rarely get the opportunity to link up about science books because I don't teach a lot of science. Another reason that I'm excited is because I HAVE PICTURES OF MY CHILDREN WITH BUZZ ALDRIN that I get to show you in my post!


The book that I want to share with you today is LOOK TO THE STARS by BUZZ ALDRIN.  


This book is a wonderful text to introduce SPACE EXPLORATION but it has much more to offer than you might originally expect.    The structure of the text allows it to be a wonderful resource book for the history of FLIGHT, the SPACE RACE, and of course, the history of SPACE EXPLORATION itself.

A closer look at LOOK TO THE STARS offers motivational quotes along the bottom of each page from prominent names in flight and space history.

"Research is creating new knowledge." ~Neil Armstrong (Look to the Stars page 13)

And if science and social studies content, along with motivational quotes from history aren't enough to convince you that you need this book, then you simply need to look at the illustrations!  The reading teacher in me loves how this book draws you in with the vivid colors but it easily holds your attention because of how well the information is organized and presented.

A MUST READ FOR KIDS AND ADULTS interested in new knowledge! :)

Now, for my personal connection to this book! :)

In 2009, my family and I just happened to be vacationing near the Kennedy Space Center when I found out that Buzz Aldrin would be there to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the APOLLO 11 MISSION.  Long story short, many long lines later, we were able to see a shuttle launch and were able to get Mr. Aldrin's autograph.  While being fed through the autograph line, you know how that is, my boys were able to shake his hand briefly and I was able to snap pictures from behind.  A sweet lady that was in line just in front of my youngest son, turned around quickly and grabbed some pictures from her angle.  She waited for me outside, asked for my email address, and shared her pictures with me so that I could have both angles of my boys with BUZZ ALDRIN!  Here's a few of our scrapbook pages from our SPACE WEEKEND! :)

Click over and visit Collaboration Cuties to see some fabulous SCIENCE MENTOR TEXTS that are being celebrated today!
 Thanks for reading.  :)

15 comments:

  1. Great book. Buzz has another book coming out (or is out) about the race to Mars.

    great choice
    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a great book and very informative! I think it would be perfect for a read aloud for my little friends. Your personal connection story is so very cool- and what a nice person you met in line to email you those memories!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen this one! The illustrations are beautiful! I miss teaching about space exploration from when I taught 5th grade--I will pass on this recommendation to my teaching buddies! Great vacation pics--somewhere I would like to take my grandson... :0) Thanks for sharing!

    Have a great week--
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chose a space related book too for my post. Your picture made me think of it actually. I have never seen this book before, but now I am sure to purchase it to add to my mentor text collection.
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are such amazing pictures, and what a keepsake for your boys! I have two boys as well and I miss them being so little and cute!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how neat you guys got to meet Buzz Aldrin! SO cool! This text looks great! I'll have to recommend it to my previous 4th grade team teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen this one, but I love it already!! It would be great to use during my space unit! :) Thanks for the great suggestion!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun book and experience for your family!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book looks great. I've got to get a copy for my library. Thanks for the wonderful post.
    http://mrsbrownthebookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic book! I had forgotten about this wonderful opportunity for your family. Such a cool experience and one that I'm sure all of you will never forget :)

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for introducing me to a new book! This book looks fabulous! The illustrations are gorgeous and the quotes are an added bonus! I use quotes a lot in my classroom, so this book will be a great addition!
    ***Your boys are precious!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a wonderful book! Any way to incorporate science and social studies into reading grabs my attention. What a great experience for your boys! Love the pictures!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a great book and would go perfectly when we are teaching space and using our Neil Armstrong extended text! How awesome is it that you got to meet Buzz Aldrin! That is sooooo neat! And to see a launch! That's so cool!

    Thanks for linking up!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that looks like a neat book that I'm sure my kiddos would enjoy!! And that is so neat your family got to meet Buzz!! How fun!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a personal connection! I think your page came out precious and it was so sweet of that lady to send you the pictures. I am definitely going to order this book. Thanks for sharing


    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs