Jun 13, 2013

My Newest Book Store Find ~ Mercedes and the Chocolate Pilot and a Strategy Task Card to use with any great book!

The book stores are lovin' me this summer!  If you've read any of my posts, tweets, Google plus updates, etc., you know that I've been begging for book suggestions to use as I integrate Social Studies into my Literacy Workshop next year.  You guys have been awesome!  And because of that, I am sure the UPS guy knows my address by heart! ;)

Today I am linking up with Reading Toward the Stars to share one of my newest purchases of the summer!
Mercedes and the Chocolate Pilot is a fabulous book for many reasons! The story is written about the grim years of the Cold War in West Berlin, Germany, which is of course the reason I bought it.  The teacher in me would never be able to pass up the opportunity to teach some great facts through a touching story.  
The reader in me fell in love with this beautiful book because of the compassion and generosity that is generated through the story and the illustrations!
If you are looking for a great book for Social Studies, this is your book! 
 If you are looking for a beautifully illustrated book that will touch your heart, again you've found a winner!

After reading this book with my students, we will work on critical

thinking by making connections to some of the informational texts
we will be reading at that time.  Here's a quick freebie about writing Thick and Thin Questions that I plan to use to aid in our critical thinking. This particular strategy task card could be used with any great book! :)  Have a wonderful day!

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking up! I will definitely have to check out that book! I love when history is told in a narrative way. Kids really do remember it better!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great one. I will pass this on to the two fifth grade language arts teachers since it goes right along with their SS curriculum. Thanks for sharing your new find.

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I teach preschoolers, my daughter and I were just looking for some great books to read during the summer break.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Janice
    www.prekpartner.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Mercedes. The end is a little bit of a tear jerker.

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this book! One the pilots that inspired the story was a guest speaker at my local library when I was a student teacher and he signed my copy of the book. My students think that's pretty cool. :-)

    Corrina
    From Mrs. Allen’s Teaching Files

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful one! I heard about this book about ten years ago when I was taking a class and had forgotten all about it... Thanks so much for the reminder! Love reading your posts, as always. :0)

    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm popping by to check out your blog since you were kind enough to start following mine. Wow! What a cool blog you have here. I'm now following YOU, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like an amazing find! There are some great youtube videos that discuss the chocolate pilot! Might be a good addition to the lesson. I'm gonna have to check this book out! Thanks for the suggestion!
    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a winner....thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This books sounds great! I can't wait to pick it up. I also am always on the look out for ways to integrate history into Reader's Workshop since more times than not Social Studies gets cut from our schedule. Thanks so much for checking out my blog and I am now your newest follower!

    :) Nicole
    Tadpole Tidbits
    www.mrscorbitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Next year I will teach about the Cold War for the fist time....definitely buying this book! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Brandee,
    Thanks for your nice post over on my blog! I am definitely enjoying beach time! I love that you are blogging about Mercedes and the Chocolate Pilot! I love that book! Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The illustrations in this book look fabulous! The name of the book is catchy; makes me want to read it!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful book! I haven't seen it before. Thanks for your comment on my post! I love hearing about what other teachers do during reading and you have given some info to share in my trainings. The freebie is great. I teach this very thing to my students and your handout explains it nicely for them! THANK YOU!
    Gina
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a new book for me too! I'm so glad you blogged about it. I will definitely be adding this to my ever growing Amazon wishlist.

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs