Jun 18, 2013

Reading Strategy Boxes {Tried It Tuesday}

Happy Tuesday!  Have you tried anything new in your classroom lately?  I have found that the last month of school is a perfect time to try out NEW strategies and techniques.  You are gearing up for the coming year and your kids are ready for something new anyway! ;)  Plus, you know your audience and know whether or not you can trust their opinions.;)  They love thinking that they are helping you get things set for the new guys, so they'll want to show off, and you'll get great results.:)  I posted this as a motivational strategy in a previous post. {How Can We Keep Our Students Reading, Writing, and Thinking as the End of the Year Approaches? I've Got a Trick!}

Here's a reading response strategy that I  let my kiddos demo using any book that they would like.  Some used their Book Talk books that they were currently reading. Others chose picture books and started from scratch.  This one was a winner with my little focus group! :)


They all agreed that they enjoyed creating "models" of this response option for my upcoming fifth graders, and I got some fabulous and thoughtful work from them.  They love thinking that they are "modeling" for the new guys and I love that they are showing me what they can really do!  I think this strategy is a winner and have added it to my arsenal for next year. Of course it is probably for later on in the year for you as well, but it never hurts to have some different response options to offer.  You can add it to your collection  too if you like.  Grab it here from my Google Drive or click on the snapshot. :)

What have you tried lately?  Hop over and visit Holly and some other bloggers and see what they have tried for TRIED IT TUESDAY!

With all the talk about GOOGLE READER'S  unwelcomed demise, I want to make sure I don't loose track of my BLOGGING BUDDIES!
If these aren't your favorites, you can find other options in the right sidebar.  These buttons can be also be found in the top right corner at a later time. 

Follow however you like, but let's keep in touch!
Have a great week teacher friends!

11 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I love that your "old" 5th graders modeled it for your "new" 5th graders. Awesome!

    When does your NWP program start? I start 7/8. Can't wait!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students love being the test subjects for next year's class too:). Thank you for response form, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this! Pinning and downloading for next year!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a WONDERFUL idea! I LOVE the format and how you've included so many reading strategy skills. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the freebie. It will come in handy next year!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great freebie! I am a new teacher looking to move to SC, what city are you in?

    Jenna
    Just Diving In

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great freebie!! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

    Katie
    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing and isn't it great that your students love being top dogs??!!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I love this idea :) Ugh, I'm so mad at Google right now, I don't want to lose my bloggy friends, either! :(

    Amelia
    wherethewildthingslearn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this response sheet for reading strategies! Hope all is going well with #NWP. I only have 6 days left of mine and feel like I still have so much more to learn!! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you have your students create "model" responses for next year's students! I need to try that next year. Thanks for the freebie too:) You're the best!!!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper
    P.S.
    What is #NWP??

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs