Jul 19, 2013

A Few Quick Pics and a Bit about Twitter Chats

Happy Friday Friends!  I'm sharing a few quick pics and thoughts from my week.  Have a great weekend! :)


Monday was MOVING DAY!  I am still the kid that gets all excited on the first day of school, except as teachers, we get to have that day twice.  The first hit of adrenaline is the day we move all our new goodies from summer into our classrooms to set up.  I'll share more on Monday for Monday Made-Its, but here's a quick pic of my car as we began loading!


Tuesday we headed down to the BEACH!
Here's another beach pic.  This one is quite obviously of my sweet boys playing in a fountain. :)



BOOKS, BOOKS, and MORE BOOKS!
I posted earlier about the need for teachers to be readers.  I accomplished this task with great enthusiasm this week. :)




I didn't play all week! ;)  Last night I participated in a Twitter Chat with the IRA (International Reading Association).  Have you tried this?  Twitter chats are great ways to connect with people with the same interests all over the world.  This particular chat was on DIGITAL WRITING in the classroom!  A wonderful hour of professional development.  The format is easy.  Someone poses a question with a "Q" and a number, for example "Q1," and the hashtag that matches the chat.  (#irachat)  Then fellow tweeters answer and discuss the question by starting their tweets with "A1," for ANSWER, and the correlating number of that question.  Super simple and super easy!  All you need is a free TWITTER account, and you are ready to learn!
If you are interested, there's a follow me button in my right sidebar.  Link up and come learn with me!
Have a FABULOUS WEEKEND!
Follow on Bloglovin 

17 comments:

  1. Okay... I have been resisting Twitter. But honestly, I may now go get one.
    Thanks for sharing, Brandee :)

    Lauren
    The Sweetest Thing
    Follow me on Bloglovin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lauren, I had been resisting Twitter, but this sounds like a great opportunity. Thank you for sharing!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read a great article on teachers using Twitter for professional development. Great post, Brandee! And I loved Bitter is the New Black! Hope you liked it too!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have been debating getting a Twitter account, but I do like the idea of using it as a classroom tool! Thanks for sharing!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Twitter, but the Twitter chats have always confused/been intimidating to me. Thanks for the explanation; I'm definitely going to try it out. Can't wait to see pictures of your classroom! :)

    Kasey
    http://middleschoolteachertoliteracycoach.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twitter is the one social media that I don't use!

    I've got so many things I need to take to my classroom! I'm just waiting on that email that says we can start working in our room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. I think I will have to try Twitter. How are you standing your Readbox up? Please post a pic. It looks amazing!

    Paulina
    Blessings of a Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Twitter chats! If you follow Dave Burgess, from Teach Like a Pirate, you can see all his Twitter chats. Great learning resources. I also follow Two Guys and Some iPads, my school district, and several other techie tweeters. My assistant principal and I just had a discussion about starting a Twitter hashtag for our campus, so we can do professional development through Twitter.
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't signed up for twitter {yet}. I will have to check out it when I get a chance. Thanks for sharing.

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brandee--a) I'm in love with your "Readbox", b) I'm at the beach as well and man, don't you NEED it?!, and c) I'm inspired to try the Twitter Chats at some point. Great ideas all around (though the beach one is particularly exciting at this moment!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had Twitter for a few months and I have only used it as a guilty pleasure...to stalk the stars every once in awhile. When I Twitter, I neglect Instagram. When I Instagram, I neglect Candy Crush. When I Candy Crush, I neglect Facebook. When I Facebook, I neglect Bloglovin'. It's a vicious cylce! Lol!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love that you read those books. I laugh every time I read Jen Lancaster and Mary Kay Andrews! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good thing you have a van to move all of your new goodies! Looks like you had a great time at the beach. I'm hoping to do some of my own reading after I finish with NWP.

    Have a great weekend!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not on twitter, but I think I will sign up - it sounds like great professional development!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like you are going to set up a read box!! How fun! Can't wait to see what it looks like when you are finished. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm definitely sporadic in my twitter usage.It is such a great resource. I do enjoy some chats here and there.

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love that I-spied a Readbox in your car! Too Fun!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs