Jul 28, 2013

Google's Newspaper Archives {Social Studies Mentor Text}

I do love Sundays! A day with my church, my family, and Collaboration Cuties Mentor Text Linky Parties! A perfect day!

Do you use Google News in your classroom?  Google has a collection of primary sources that is phenomenal!  They have an entire newspaper archive that is easy to zoom in for individual close reading, or for display for shared reading.   You can also zoom out to get the big picture of the older newspapers.  This gives an authentic feeling of the time period you are reading about.  Original advertisements, editorials, articles, fashion, etc. are right there waiting for you!

If you haven't explored Google's newspaper archives to research articles for your time period, you can start here!  I must warn you, you can get lost in all the details of history. It is truly fascinating!
Pic from Google images
An example of how I use Google News is as an accompanying piece to HISTORICAL FICTION.  Are you familiar with Forty Acres and a Maybe a Mule?  If you know your history, you are aware that forty acres and a mule was a promise that was made and never actually fulfilled in American History.  What a fabulous opportunity to pull in informational text pieces to test the validity of facts in an historical fiction novel. If we can get our students hooked on the characters and emotions of a novel, and then give them the primary sources that either relate or conflict with it, they can make better connections to the facts that we want them to learn.  Those connections will allow them to actually apply the facts to something that is familiar to them, rather than simply memorize the facts because that is what is expected.



We will read Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule as a shared novel study during our Reconstruction unit.  When we reach a point in the novel that spurs interest in the conflicting or related historical facts we are studying, we will put the novel on hold to address those interest through informational texts and research. Those informational texts, will then be our shared reading for a few days.

In the archives of Google News, I found a wonderful article written by Roy Grimes for the Victoria Advocate in 1964 titled, Forty Acres and a Mule.  He explains the confusion behind the concept that has been misunderstood for many years.



Another article I will use, provided by Buffalo News, is Broken Promises: The truth behind '40 acres and a mule.'  This editorial offers yet another intriguing opportunity to pull in informational text standards that you might be focusing for your particular lesson.

Today is SOCIAL STUDIES day over at Collaboration Cuties, so if this particular piece of historical fiction doesn't address a time period that you cover in your classroom, I'm sure you can find a fabulous option linked up for the party over there!  After you find the perfect book, take a look at Google News and see if you can find a few primary sources to go with it!


Thanks for reading!

*****************************************


TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO REGISTER FOR THE GIVEAWAY!

This is a SIMPLE "2 CLICK" GIVE-AWAY for all my Bloglovin' Followers!  $20 to TARGET. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

EVERYBODY LOVES TARGET!
Follow on Bloglovin 
If you're a blogger and you blog about this little give-away, there's something extra from STARBUCKS in it for you to help jump start your first day of school!  Email me a link to your post and I'll email you a little treat!

Papers by Collaboration Cuties :)

Good luck and thanks for following!


22 comments:

  1. I haven't used Google Newspaper Archives before. Thank you for the suggestion! I will have to check it out.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew ... I didn't even know that Google had a newspaper archive. Thanks for sharing. That is so awesome.

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to explore this resource...I didn't know it existed! Thanks for the tip! I shared your post...but my email is not set up properly on my school computer, so here is the link: http://daisydandies.blogspot.com/2013/07/everybody-loves-target-enter-to-win.html.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing resource! I had no idea!!!! Thanks for sharing!!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post!! I did NOT know about Google Archives! You always have the best ideas for nonfiction! Can you come teach at my school with me in 4th? ;0)

    And I said "Awwwww" out loud when I saw you used our papers for your button! You made my day! Thanks!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic resource! I am always looking for ways to integrate more informational text into my classroom. Definitely an option for shared reading!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ❁ Kate
    Purely Paperless

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you.. the newspaper articles are going to be great supplemental reading for my students!! yay!!! :)

    Kimberlee @ iTeach 5th & Digital Doodle Designs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never used Google News Archives before but I think I'll use it now! What a fantastic resource. Thanks for sharing!!

    Mandi
    Life With Middle Schoolers

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never used Google News Archives before but think it is a great resource for non-fiction and for tying fiction and non-fiction in together. Thanks for sharing this resource!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic resource! We are working on implementing unit planning and this will be a great addition.
    Thanks for sharing!

    Paulina
    Blessings of a Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had used NY Times before, but didn't know about Google News. I love primary sources!

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of Google News before. I've always had a difficult time with finding primary resources for my students to use. It's so important for them to be able to look at those sources and make connections and so forth. I will definitely be using it this year with my kids. I love how you use Google News with historical fiction pieces! Thanks for sharing!

    ~Chelsea
    Fifth Grade Wit and
    Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for posting about Google News. I was not familiar with this tool. I've been doing a little exploring and learning about all the fantastic options Google offers. I'm off to search for articles now. I do so enjoy what you share! I ALWAYS find something to use.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did not know about Google News! Thank you for that information! I can definitely see how useful this would be in the classroom in many ways.
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so excited to learn about Google News! Pinning to spread the word! What a great resource Brandee! It will fit perfectly in my classroom for primary sources and close reading! Thanks!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  16. You do not need to send me another treat because one is more than enough :) But I had to comment to say what an awesome find this is! I just added that book to my collection and can't wait to use your idea. You know I'm all about some primary sources :)

    Lauren
    The Sweetest Thing
    Follow me on Bloglovin'!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sooo love the concept...I'm having a hard time finding events.
    How do you find the particular event/topic? Do you search by date? When I search it, it is based on the newspaper and it goes global?
    Would love to share with my SS teachers!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brandee,
    Thank you so much for writing about this resource! With the emphasis on primary documents in the CCSS, this is a gem! I can already think of 10 ways I can use it. Pinned it to share with my team.

    Have a great week!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for sharing the tip about Google News - it will surely come in handy during the coming school year.

    Jane
    Learning in the Little Apple

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the book suggestion! I need this one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, the Google newspapers are just amazing. I got lost just spending time reading the newspaper on the day I was born!
    Thanks,
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never heard of this! Thank you so much for sharing the resource. Can't wait to check it out with my teachers. It will be great for the ELA standard which addresses primary and secondary sources. :)
    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs