Sep 21, 2013

Celebrating Authors

Happy Saturday Teacher Friends!  I wanted to check in with a quick post today to tell you about a wonderful experience my class and I shared yesterday with our parents.  I think it had a big impact on my kiddos, but was super simple on the teacher end, so I thought it might be something you could use in the future.

For the past month, my students and I have been reading and writing about reconstruction using any types of materials we could get our hands on.  Although we still took the traditional Social Studies tests, and still had traditional notes to study, pretty much everything else we did for our unit was totally woven into our reading and writing stations and small group lessons.  There was a learning curve for all of us because this was the first time my students or I had experimented with fully integrated content material.

I have to admit that after we got our feet wet, we jumped in head first!  It is truly a wonderful way to explore the events that have occurred throughout history.  Yesterday,we had a celebration to wrap it all up!


The focus of this ELA/SS unit was OPINION WRITING and RECONSTRUCTION.  Because our opinions play a huge roll in the point of view and perspective we take when we write, we worked A LOT on point of view.  Also, because voice is so important in opinion writing, I chose a task that allowed us to weave VOICE into the lessons as well.

Our culminating writing task was this:  Each student will write 2 letters representing the opposing points of views of the issues that existed during the RECONSTRUCTION ERA.  The students will first take the stance of a FREEDMAN and write to their grandchild explaining what reconstruction was like from their point of view.  The student's second letter will also be written to their grandchild, and will take the stance of either an EX-CONFEDERATE GENERAL, or a member of the SOUTHERN ELITE, and will tell the story of reconstruction from their opposing point of view.

Because the letters were written to their grandchildren, the students were able to experiment with voice in some truly amazing ways.  :)  There were a lot of "sugar dumplings" and "honey pies" addressed in their letters.  They were required to explain their points of view on at least 3 different issues, and give at least 3 details about those issues to prove they knew their facts about the topics.  We were all quite pleased with the final products, and although they were very NERVOUS, they were excited to share their work.

So, onto our celebration!  We invited the parents and drew numbers for our celebration groups.  Each student drew a number 1-5 to select their celebration table.  Once there, each student took 5 sticky notes, and each parent that was attending took 5 sticky notes as well.  Each student stood to read their letters, and then waited as every member of their group, including the parents, wrote sticky notes of praise about their writing.  The sticky notes were added to their "Walls of Fame," (see below) and their walls of fame will be added to their writing portfolios for safe keeping!

I plan to have a celebration at the culmination of each unit.  By the end of year, each student will have 9 WALLS OF FAME in their portfolios.


Benefits that I noticed right away:
  • The students had an opportunity to share their writing and practice public speaking in a safe setting with an authentic audience.  
  • The students heard other writing models, and were able to mentally compare their work to the work of their peers.  This should help with future pieces.  
  • Their sweet faces simply lit up when they received their sticky notes of praise about their work. :)
  • They are now aware that we are working toward these celebrations throughout each unit.  The awareness that their work will be shared in this setting should be quite motivating as they gather their research.
On the teacher side of things:
  • The students shared in groups of five, so I simply rotated the room and listened a bit to each group. Knowing we had a few parents at each group to keep things moving along, I was free to observe all the celebrations.
  • The white table cloths were a simple touch that made the experience special for my kiddos.  :)
  • Other than organizing the materials, there was little work on my end.   Now that the kids and parents are trained, the celebrations should almost host themselves in the future! ;)
Follow on Bloglovin 

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea! It looks like it was a big success! I know what you mean about jumping into something new with the kids, that is how I am feeling about notebooks:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I love this! What a fantastic way to celebrate your students as writers and to tie in your SS content!!
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandee--I love this. We don't do Social Studies until the spring, but I'm bookmarking this for when we work on Colonization/The Revolution. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful literacy celebration! I can just imagine how excited the students were to share!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea!! We don't do Reconstruction in 4th, but we could easily do this with the Revolutionary War! Thank you for a great idea! :)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to celebrate your students hard work. I love this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this idea and love the letters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea! I love that they wrote it to their grandchildren and the fact that they were able to share it with parents and fellow classmates!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late
    Follow me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you integrated your social studies into your literacy area. They took Science & SS out of our schedules this year and we HAVE to teach it in literacy. You have given me some good ideas here. Amazing, as always!!

    Glad to see you back (again)! I was beginning to worry.... :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great ideas! I also love the social studies and literacy integration. I just found your blog and will be looking forward to adding it to my list of blogs I follow.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs