Apr 20, 2014

The Other Side and Freedom Summer {Social Studies Mentor Text Linky}

Hi Everybody and Happy EASTER!  I'm dropping in for a quick link up with the ladies from Collaboration Cuties to talk about 2 Social Studies Mentor Texts this week.


The 2 books that I've selected today go hand in hand if you are interested in integrating Social Studies into your ELA instruction.

The Other Side is about 2 little girls who live on opposite sides of a fence.  They watch each other and want to play together but their parents don't think that it's a good idea.  

In contrast to The Other Side, Freedom Summer is about 2 little boys.  One little boy's mother works cleaning the home of the other family.  They spend lots of time together playing often because the family welcomes the son of the housekeeper into their home and encourages their friendship.

Both stories are written about a time in history when the mixing of cultures and races was frowned upon by many, but these stories offer such interesting differing points of view on the topic that they beg to be discussed!
Imagine the reading lessons and topics that can be pulled from such interesting books!  They offer opportunities for many comparing and contrasting lessons, as well as strong point of views and, because they are so beautifully written, all literary standards could be discussed while sharing these books.  These are "must reads" for a civil rights movement study.


HOP on over to Collaboration Cuties and check out a few other Social Studies Mentor Texts this week and enjoy your day with your families!  Happy Easter! :)



4 comments:

  1. Brandeeeeeee! I've missed you!!! I'm so so glad you linked up! Both of these look amazing and I love that both genders are represented in similar books! I hope you have a wonderful Easter!!
    Hugs and love.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love The Other Side! I read it with my class earlier this year and it brought a tear to one girl's eye! So sweet! Thanks for introducing me to Freedom Summer, I'll certainly check it out!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Brandi! I've missed you and all your wonderful ideas! Guess what? We blogged about the same book today! I love both of these, but Freedom Summer is one of my absolute favorites! Thanks for sharing the idea of comparing those two books!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny that you and Joanne blogged about the same book! Must be a great mentor text!!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs