May 31, 2014

I Need Picture Book Suggestions for Social Studies!

Big News!  It is official!  I will be teaching one block of ELA/Social Studies in FIFTH grade and another block of ELA/Social Studies in FOURTH grade!

How is this going to work you ask?  I have no idea!  The scheduling end of this plan is being left up to someone else.  :)

My part of this plan involves the unit building and teaching...which I am VERY, VERY EXCITED about!

I currently teach 2 blocks of ELA/SS in fifth grade.  I spent a lot of time this year building integrated units that I am very proud of.  In fact, part of our presentation in New Orleans at #IRA14 was all about integration.  You can read more about there here.


I am a firm believer that READING AND WRITING are important in every aspect of life and should be taught that way in our classrooms.  Therefore, my instruction is totally intertwined with ELA all day long!

Here's where you come in!  I need some help.  I use lots and lots of PICTURE BOOKS for instruction. I actually teach most of my grammar through picture books using model texts and" stealing", as Ruth Culham calls it in The Writing Thief.  :)  I need to hear about your favorites so I can begin building my fourth grade units!

I have my fifth grade units covered, but I always LOVE a good book if you other suggestions...I am starting fresh with my fourth grade units and I want lots!

HERE ARE MY TOPICS:
1 -I will start with the land bridge and early explorers.
2- I will move on to European Settlements.
3- The Road to the Revolution
4- Revolutionary War
5- Planning our Government
6- Westward Expansion
7- Slavery in the North and the South
8- The Civil War

Please email me, or share in the comments, or tweet to me, or find whatever social media contact you like to help me start my collection for these units.  :)  I have already written and funded, (YAY), a Donors Choose grant for graphic novels to cover all the above listed topics, so I have graphic novels completely under control.  I do a complete graphic novel unit, which you can read about here.

If you are not familiar with Donors Choose, you should really check it out.  I was able to order almost $500 worth of graphic novel with funds that added up in less that 24 hours!  What a happy day!

Follow on Bloglovin 
Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Those SS topics sound interesting. I poked through my Goodreads lists but most of what I found that I'd already read were novels. So ... I'll keep thinking. There are many great picture books in the world. Just have to find them. Also how on earth did I miss your IRA post? Integration! LOVE IT! Off to read more closely ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep forgetting to respond to this post! I've got a number of books I enjoy on the Revolutionary War. I'll hope I can pull out my titles at school and e-mail them to you. Have you checked out Collaboration Cuties? They had a weekly link party and introduced me a lot of excellent social studies texts.
    Congratulations and best of luck with your new position!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs