May 17, 2014

Sparking Reading Motivation in Big Readers and Little Readers

Yesterday was a great day!  Heck this entire week has been fabulous.  I returned from New Orleans in the middle of the night on Monday and crawled to school to volunteer on a field trip...there was no way I could have taught all day.  We attended and presented at the IRA Conference and had a fabulous time!  The field trip was wonderful and I got to drop in on all my kiddos to say a quick hello. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, we simply enjoyed DEVOURING all the new books I brought back from the conference!

We were so successful at finding comfortable spots to read that we invited a few little guys in to watch us! They needed to see how big kids CRAWL into books.  :)  I gave my ZOMBIE analogy, and after they all looked at me like I was crazy, they began to let their brains CRAWL out of their bodies and into their books as well!



Today I'm linking up with an old blogging buddy over at HEAD OVER HEELS FOR TEACHING to share a MOTIVATIONAL tip!  If you have big readers, let them model for little readers!  We helped them create iMOVIEs for their books, let them tell us about their books, and simply let them join us as we read comfortably!  It was very motivating for everyone involved...AND...I even got to read a bit of my newest book by Kelly Gallagher that I picked up in New Orleans!  What an inspirational guy!

Have a great weekend and click over and visit Joanne to find some other Motivational ideas!


Follow on Bloglovin 

4 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great time on your trip! Congrats on presenting!!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Brandi! I've done reading buddies with 1st graders several times, but I really like the idea of just modeling what big (good) readers do! So glad you had such a great trip and week! Thanks for sharing and linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE pairing the big kids and little kids together. I am so fortunate to have a best friend right NEXT door that I can partner up with. Such a huge motivator for everyone involved. Jealous you were in New Orleans!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the IRA conference! It was awesome, what did you present?

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs