Jul 1, 2014

Guiding Text for ELA/Social Studies Integration

What the heck is a GUIDING TEXT?  Frankly, I'm not sure "GUIDING TEXTS" is the best name for this document, but this seems to be what  I always end up calling it!  Yes, it's our NOTES.  It's our "story." It's our social studies facts.  It's lots of things in my room!  It's even a resource for "TURKEYS"...long story for another day!

But at the end of  the day...it feels like it "guides" everything we do, so it has become our "GUIDING TEXT."  Feel free to suggest a new name in the comments.  I'm open to suggestions. :)  Here's what it is, and what we do with it!

Our guiding texts is a condensed version of everything we cover during an integrated ELA/SS unit.  It gives us a nice starting point in the room.  It gives the parent's a nice resource for studying, and it gives me something to build our unit around.

It includes most of our vocabulary. (Some of our vocabulary is covered at a Word Work Station where my students work with affixes and roots.) It includes all of our Social Studies facts, and a few of our reading skills.  It also provides a tremendous resource for my students when they are working on their CULMINATING PROJECT at the end of each unit.

You see...it guides our integration.  :)  From here I choose articles, primary and secondary sources, stories, and picture books to use as I teach my ELA standards and  I get to "kill two birds with one stone," so to speak!  By the time we've read and analyzed approximately 4 weeks of additional texts based on these topics, we have more than covered our social studies lessons!  And, in the eyes of my parents, these are great notes for the kids to study when it is time for a social studies test.  My parents and kids always know they can find these near the TAB in the Workshop Notebooks. :)

It's actually a very easy way to teach social studies and a great way to buy more reading time for you and your students! ;)

Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike! I am trying to do something similar this year. Did you create these or did they come with your textbook series? Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this!! I need to do something like this for our SS since is so specific to South Carolina!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you be willing to share these guiding texts? Brilliant! I'm happy to pay for them, but I know you don't have a TPT store. I'm new to 5th grade and this would help so much--have 1hr and 5 minutes to teach ela/ss. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. :)

Copyright © Creating Lifelong Learners | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs